- an EU-wide energy market, which the commission claims would trigger investment in energy
- a binding target for 20% of energy to be supplied from renewable sources by 2020
- a requirement for transport fuels to contain 10% biofuel by 2020
- a requirement for primary energy use to be reduced by 20%
- an increase in the annual budget for energy research by 50%.
EU promises 'a new industrial revolution'
Help us keep The Ecologist working for the planet
The Ecologist website is a free service, published by The Resurgence Trust, a UK-based educational charity. We work hard - with a small budget and tiny editorial team - to bring you the wide-ranging, independent journalism we know you value and enjoy, but we need your help. Please make a donation to support The Ecologist platform. Thank you!